Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Murray Memories


Memories of Murray

Some stuff we remember about Murray:

Anne said: Arlene was probably in the first grade, and Lynn was in the 3rd or 4th at Bonneville Elementary up on the hill.

Lynn said: Doesn't anybody else remember being snowed in so bad one winter that we couldn't get the car to the house and had to haul groceries through snow packed about 3 feed deep for 1/2 a mile (I wouldn't exaggerate).

Anne said: Absolutely! One of the neighbors tried to drive out and his car sank to the bottom of the snow, and we could look down on it. It was at least up to the top of the car. I think it stayed there until the snow all thawed.

I tried to find what year that was through Google, but never could pin it down. I think around 1951.Absolutely! One of the neighbors tried to drive out and his car sank to the bottom of the snow, and we could look down on it. It was at least up to the top of the car. I think it stayed there until the snow all thawed.

Lynn said: Do Arlene or Carma remember falling in the irrigation ditch in front of our house with water running in it and being saved by yr big brother? He got so much positive feedback he pushed the other sister in the ditch the next day.

Arlene said: I was in kindergarten in Murray. I do remember that. I don't know if I started 1st grade there, but I was in 2nd when we got to Point Arena. I was not the one who you saved from the ditch. I may be the one you pushed in the next day. just kidding. but you always liked Carma best.

Lynn said: Remember building a kite at least 3 feet tall out of brown wrapping paper that went so high it was almost invisible, or making secret trails through the wheat fields behind the house? And getting chewed out for it.

Do you remember the rabbits?

Or watching Dad cut off the head of a chicken and letting it go?

I remember falling out of a tree and getting a green-something fractured right arm.

Anne said: How about this one? Lynn broke his arm and had it in a cast, but there was a back road from the school to home, and Lynn slipped the cast off to swim in the little creek. (Still Murray) [Irrigation ditch, probably. lynn]

Arlene said: I do remember the hill down the street where we used to go sledding. It had a ditch at the bottom of the hill and the trick was to stop your sled before it went into the ditch.

Lynn said: I remember shooting a sparrow w/ a BB gun.

I remember shooting my thumb w/ a BB gun.

I remember being a champeen flashcard guy in Mrs Miller's math class.

Me and another kid set a fire once on a piece of church property that was used for growing wheat - fortunately, the wheat had already been harvested.

Got a bike that I managed to take apart and put back together (10 yrs old), with handle bars that looked like the horns of a texas longhorn. Could turn the handle bars forward just like a steer, or backwards so I could rest my arms on them.

And playing king of the hill at school. One day I was king of the hill. Telling dozens of kids where to put rocks and where to go do something. Wonderful feeling. The next recess nobody remembered. Somebody else was king. What a bummer.

If any of you all remember or can elaborate more, please do.

No comments: