Wasn't Pennsylvania fun? We were only there for a summer, I think, while waiting for Dad's next orders to come. I suppose he went to work every day, and Mom took care of us. I remember the trailer park was the biggest we had ever lived in, and was on a hill, as the whole city seemed to be.
The hills and windy roads drove Mom crazy. She had a hard time not getting lost because she couldn't tell which way she was going - North, south, east or west. So she bought a compass to mount on the dash, and would head north (or somewhere to get to where she needed to go, but as the roads wound around, the compass seemed less and less reliable. Finally in frustration, she would pull over and look at the compass, and then it would start spinning to the right, then spinning to the left, then back to the right, etc., until it caught up with all the turns she had made, and the point in the right direction. It was pretty funny.
I remember railroad tracks down a gully behind the park where Lynn (and all those of us who adored him and wanted to follow him everywhere) would go to shoot arrows from one side to the other.
I remember square dancing. Maybe that's where I learned? I remember "Roll Out the Barrel" playing loud as we ran down the hill of the trailer park. hmmm. Maybe we were singing it?
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I also remember that my "best friend" on PA was a little black girl. It didn't mean anything to me at the time, but when we moved to Florida and then to Louisiana, it was odd to me that people didn't think you could or should be friends with a black person. I couldn't understand that at all because of my friendship in PA.
I think we were there for only about 6 weeks. We did go to school there and that's where I had a funny experience with different accents from different parts of the country. I think the word was "ten", but when I said it, another girl corrected me and said I should be pronouncing it "tin". I repeated "ten", and she said "tin", and then she said, "You have an accent!"
Post a Comment