Another thing about Point Arena is that since it was such a small town, the closest Church ward was Eureka. So each Sunday we drove an hour along the windy highway 1 coastal road to Church and drove an hour on same road back home. I used to get very carsick, so Mom started giving me Dramamine. It would knock me out and I would sleep the whole trip. I loved it.
In Eureka, Church was held in a rented building that had to be cleaned up each Sunday morning before we could hold Church. They had to sweep up the cigarette butts and air out the smell and set up chairs. I thought it was really neat and I remember the Sacrament cups were different than we had seen before and I wasn't sure how to use them. But Eureka is where Lynn was old enough to pass the Sacrament. I remember thinking he was soooo grown up and big and handsome passing the Sacrament. That is a great memory.
Within not much time, Dad got permission for us to hold Church in Point Arena. There were only a few member-families there, but between us all, there was enough Priesthood to do it, so we did. It was wonderful and fun to have Church with such a tiny group. I think Dad was Branch President and Mom was Primary President. Anne was called to teach the Sunbeam class even though she was only 11. I thought that was really neat too.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
As I recall, we were a dependent Sunday School, not even a real branch. It WAS fun to have our own church there in our big schoolhouse home, and I loved teaching the Sunbeams.
Yes, we bathed in a big wash tub. I remember Mom boiling water to put in it. But we mostly used each other's water, cause she could only boil enough to keep it warm, not enough to replace all the water after each child. I can't imagine doing all that. Especially with a migraine. In regards to sliding down the banister, remember that all little girls were in dresses in those days. So we slid down the banister on our little white underpants, which Mom used to say she thought she would never get clean. she scrubbed and scrubbed (our underpants) and eventually we got a nice polish to the banister and it looked really good.
Nobody mentioned the room behind the kitchen/living room combination, that we didn't heat, and it was so cold that we kept our milk there. We didn't have or need a fridge. We also stored Christmas presents there and anything else that needed to be hidden.
There was no central heating/air conditioning so each room was heated separately. Our bedrooms had butane stoves that blew smoke rings. We thought that was really neat. We re-arranged our room a lot, cause it was so big, and it was fun to decide where to put the beds. They were mostly close together in the middle of the room, near the heater.
I remember a wter tower near our house that we climbed and I decided that was really scary. I only did it once, and probably not all the way up even that time.
I started to doubt Santa Claus while we were there. We didn't have a chimney, and I kept asking Mom how he was going to get in. She said through the screen door cause he was magic. I don't think she wanted me to believe very bad. Besides, Anne and Lynn got to "help Santa" and I saw my baby doll on those secret shelves int eh refrigerator room.
I sued to get carsick on the way to church in Eureka, so they gave me dramamine and i slept the whole 2 hour trip each way. That's where I learned the magic of drugs. I was in a combination grade 2/3 class and I was in the 2nd grade, so I got to learn the 3rd grade stuff, too.
I remember Carma almost drowning int he riptides; and abalone that Dad brought home and Mom pounded for hours but it still tasted like rubber shoes.
In many Asian international locations, in the meantime, gamers love the easy game of baccarat or well-liked dice video 카지노사이트 games like Sic Bo
Post a Comment