I love that our parents made the required trip across country a fun and exciting experience for 5 children. Many parents would approach it as a necessary evil, but the trip was an opportunity to see other states and see the beauties of each one. It was almost like being home-schooled and every place was an opportunity to learn.
I remember it being so exciting. My first memory is of Wyoming and teasing Anne all through Cheyenne and calling it her city. I remember the beautiful fall leaves of wonderful colors. We collected some, which I remember keeping for many years.
I can't remember other states. I do remember being very nervous about the trailer fish-tailing. Any time it would start to swerve, I would get really scared it might jackknife. Very traumatic for a little girl.
I mostly remember how exciting it all was, and pulling the trailer behind the car and staying in the trailer at night when we parked.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i remember it seems that all of us tested each other on the state capitals. In the trailer my bed was on the floor right underneath the picture window, and i absolutely LOVED waking up in the morning feeling the road rumbling beneath me, and sitting up in bed & seeing the country fly by right from my bed.
We kept the leaves in those huge old Books Of Knowledge Encyclopedias. Those were SO COOL! They had pictures of everything!!
It did feel like an enormous adventure. I remember a couple of times we either got stopped by police for being too long a trailer to go through town, or at least once i remember the trailer not making the corner in the middle of town, and scraping or hitting a pole or traffic sign or something. i remember times it seemed like we were not going to make it up some of those long hills during the cross country part.
Post a Comment