Thursday, January 17, 2008

Point Arena

Out of all the cities we lived in Point Arena was probably the most fun place to live. It just seemed magical that we got to live in an abandoned school house. It was the only time we lived in a multi-story house. The rooms were enormous. Since there was no central heat, we had coal oil stoves brought in to each room, which made smoke rings as they puffed out the heat.

I remember Mom occasionally finding a bowl of cake batter under Lynn's bed in his room. He loved to eat it raw and would mix it up and snack on it through the week.

Anne started her acting and directing career while we lived there. She would write plays and direct us in them. I can almost remember the plot of one of them about some girls traveling by train somewhere? We would hang some blankets from a line hung across the middle of the room and put chairs on one side for the audience. We even charged admission, like a nickel each, but the amazing thing is that friends and neighbors would actually come and clap at the end.

Of course the most common memory is of the banister, as in "sliding down the". I guess the girls always wore dresses, cause I remember Mom saying she thought she would never get the panties clean, until the banister was finally fully cleaned and polished (by our panties as we slid).

We had no fridge, but it was so cold there that we kept all the food in one room that wasn't heated, and kept quite nicely.

We also had no bathtub, because a schoolhouse wouldn't have a bathtub. So Mom heated water in big pots on a wood-burning stove and poured it into a wash tub, where we each took our turns in the livingroom. I don't remember Mom ever complaining about the back-woods-ness of our living situation.

I remember the huge hedge in our back yard where we loved to climb inside and hide. It was a like a secret hideaway. I didn't know before that a hedge is mostly hollow inside. It was so fun to climb on the branches and get up inside, until Anne and Lynn got ticks. That ended that.

The back yard was like that back yard of any school - mostly cement, but it was very uneven cement and lots of fun to play on. There was a water tower nearby that we liked to climb, but I was the most chicken for how high I would go on it. We also liked to sneak into the locked upstairs rooms via the fire escape, and peruse the contents stored there. They had typical school stuff stored there - auditorium chairs, a big clown face for bean bag toss, and stuff and stuff. In one room on one of the floors,Lynn found a coffin. From then on, I didn't go into any of the rooms. I was really scared of that coffin, and who might be in it -dead or un-dead.

Since Point Arena was a little town, the school was very small, with not enough teachers or students to have a full class for each grade, so I was put in a combination 2nd/3rd grade class. I was in 2nd grade, but I loved to listen to the teacher instruct the 3rd graders and I felt very smart and always thought I was ahead of other kids of the world for that situation. It surely made me smarter cause I listened in on the 3rd grade lessons.

Wild blackberries grew abundantly up there, and we used to go pick them with Dad, and Mom would make pies and jam. It was wonderful. We used to try to swim off the coast, but the waves are very dangerous up there, and one time, Carma was almost drown because of the undertow. We used to walk on the tide pools and look at all the life there. Sometimes we found abalone and brought it home. One time Mom tried to cook it. She pounded the thing forever, but it never go ttender. I don't think anyone ate it but Dad. He firmly believed in trying everything.

10 comments:

Mahubble said...

Wow! What a lot of memories from just one place!

We had trouble keeping our room clean, so Dad would come and have a military-type inspection from time to time.

lynn said...

I remember one night at the school house when Paul and I were hearing this eerie wailing sound as we were going to sleep. We called Dad and he went outside and found a lonesome gypsy playing a violin.
The street downtown from the school house was steep. That's where Paul broke an eye tooth and got that scar on his chin.
Another memory is of when a friend and I tormented a skunk and then went into the local (mini) market and were surprised that everyone knew what we had been doing.
We had a maroon and cream colored Cadillac at the time.
We had a lawn? garden? while we were still in the trailer that was plagued w/ gophers. Neither flooding their burrows nor shooting at them w/ a .22 ever made them look for other pastures.

Scorchi said...

From Anne:
We'd go pick huge blackberries, wild, along the sides of the road. That's when I learned to bake pies.

From Lynn:
I remember the hedge and ticks; Paul and I going down the hill to downtown on a bike head over heels; trying to drown gophers or shoot them with a 22; brown beetles of different shapes; living in a school building and hearing an eerie scary noise one night which turned out to be a solitary gypsy playing a violin; picking blackberries; 10 cent movies; green hills or mountains all around.

Scorchi said...

From Paul:
One thing I do remember is the time we (Lynn and I) had with dad. We went hunting and I believe Dad killed a deer one year. I remember he tried to get us to eat the deer brains. (I know, ugggg) We would go out and shoot the 22 rifle (the same one that I have in my closet) and shoot it. Carma would look through the sights sort of side ways through the wrong eye despite us trying to tell her that is not the way to shoot. We always went fishing a lot and caught the best tasting fish. It was called a capazoni I believe. It was a rock fish that was very ugly but tasted great. One time Lynn got caught by a wave while trying to get across some slick wet rocks and got pulled out into the surf. Dad had to dive (or jump in) after him and pull him back. It really scared us. Lynn also was attacked by a swarm of wasps after walking on their hive in the ground. He had many stings and really hurt. (Why did everything happen to Lynn?) Point Arena is also where Dad taught me the value of other people's property. (A story I have told too often.) Is that where we went to check out the whales that were blown up and ended up with pieces of their rotting flesh on our shoes and it about ruined the car with the terrible smell?
I still don't remember taking a bath, but if Carma was the last in the tub, it is a good thing we didn't throw out the baby with the bath water. (hehe)

Scorchi said...

From Carma:
I remember taking baths in the big washtub, and all sharing water. At least it seems like I was always at the end of the water chain. Do you guys re3member playing that chasing game around and around the dining room table till we would finally laugh so hard and duck under it, then when recovered we would get back out and run around it again.

From Anne:
Sometimes there were earwigs in the wood when Mom put them in the wood stove. We all got some satisfaction out of seeing them meet their death. Remember the octopus? It was a small one that Dad brought home in a bucket, and if it got its tentacles wrapped around his arm, he couldn't get them off.
I do remember something spook about Lynn's room, although I don't know if it was something he staged or what. But I don't remember ever being afraid in our big room. Of course all the rooms were big because they were classrooms.
And banisters, as in "sliding down the"! We had 'em! And restrooms, of course, were segregated by the sexes, but had not showers, just many stalls. Did we bathe in a washtub? I can't remember. That's funny that I can't remember how we bathed, but I can remember bathing in a washtub in Murray and an outdoor shower that Dad rigged up there.

Scorchi said...

From Paul:
I do remember begging Lynn to take me with him to the scary movies, swearing that "I will not be scared or have nightmares." Of course I did, but I didn't tell anyone.
I also remember that every year the town had a special day something about beards. You had to have one or be arrested or something I didn't understand. (I was 5 or so; what did I know). I remember the plays my silly sisters would put on standing on the back porch. They had costuming and everything.
I remember which to me was a very important event. A cute older woman (about 6) talked me into kissing her. My first kiss. Wow.

Scorchi said...

From Carma:
I could reminsce for days aboutr Point Arena. I do not recollect any gypsy. Or her music. tho once I was in Lynn's room, looking for his stash of raw cake batter, and heard heavy breathing from his open window. Spooked me so bad, I never looked back, or tried to filch his cake batter again.
We used to play "21" with Lynn with foreigh coins for betting. We used to put on those plays that Anne wrote, some of the lines of which I bet we all remember. I remember Lynn and Paul learning to chop wood...and mom cooking ont he wood fireplace. could any of us modern women do that? She cooked and baked pies and everything. And we had to clean all the beer bottles out to live there, and it was a condemned building even before we moved in. And our best good friend there got ringworm in her hair and had to shave off her hair and put gingin violet on her head and went around for months and months with that kercheif on her head.
We used to play tennis on those concrete courts.
and make up all kinds of dramas and fantasies in that Huge hedge. Its too unreal that it looked so small that one time we drove by at 90 miles an hour after driving 8 hours, etc.,k to get up there. I'm with you, Anne, I'd like to make a point of going up there, and really looking around.
I'd like to find some of those cliffs we used to run around on and those blackberry bushes, but not the poinon oak. and those roadside people who sold fresh green peas for 10 cents a pound, and the fresh corn o the cob. Wow.

Scorchi said...

From Paul:
Yes, I definitely remember falling off my bike. Dad had put off tightening the bearings in my front wheel and the wheel was very loose and the wheel wobbled terribly. Lynn and I were speeding down the steep main street hill ( I was trying to keep up with Lynn), when the handle bars started to shake violently. I lost control and went over the handle bars head first into the road with my chin (there is still a huge pot hole there to this day). Some people took me into their house with Lynn following and took care of me until Mom came and got me. the then traveled through the windy mountains to the nearest hospital (about 30 miles away) so I could have my chin sewed up. I had a large bandage on my chin for what seemed like weeks.

Scorchi said...

From Anne:
I don't think there was a movie theater in town. Someone from the base would get movies from there and show them in their garage and set up a bunch of folding chairs.

From Arlene:
That is where I saw "Creature from the Black Lagoon." I scared me to death. I distinctly remember sitting on the wood chairs in a tent type place to watch it. Really scary to me!

From Lynn:
There was to a movie theater in town. Me and another guy entered through the 2nd story roof one night and went down to the ticket takers' both and carried away a bunch of tickets to use next time we wanted to go to the movies. 10 cents was a lot of money in those days, I guess.
Its funny, but I absolutely don't remember movies in garages. Sounds familiar, though.

cj said...

For some reason I was with a friend walking up the sidewalk between downtown and our old schoolhouse home, and I noticed lots of stuff going on in this one house--the front door was open, and I glanced in and what should I see but Paul laying in there on their couch, with bandages on his chin. I don't remember who I was with, or what I did after that, though I know they had to take Paul to someplace far (was it Fort Bragg?) to get his chin stitched up. It's a marvel that his tooth didn't get knocked out, but just chipped.
I got poison oak once from blackberry picking--I had that pink stuff all over me.
One time, when I was sick and everyone else got to go out, Dad stayed home with me and somehow we watched Disney's Peter Pan. Projector & sheet? I have no idea, but it was pretty cool.
I got to lay on a small bed in or near that coat closet while I was sick. I got to lay there and watch Peter Pan with Dad.
Usually, when it was bedtime, I had to go upstairs all by myself to go to bed, and I nearly always had terrifying nightmares. I'd sometimes cry on my way upstairs because I didn't want to be upstairs all by myself.
My boyfriend, and best friend, was Michael Neiswender. He was a cutie.